Welcome to Your Laugh Line's Humorous Book Awards! (AKA: The Yullies)
Here's where you will find everything you need to know about the Humorous Book Awards contest for books published in 2017.
We are looking for the funniest book of 2017 - plain and simple. This contest is our way of finding and rewarding that book.
- Open submissions date: 1 February, 2018
- Submission deadline: 30 April, 2018
- Longlist Notification: 1 July, 2018
- Shortlist Notification: 1 August 2018
- Reader's Choice Voting Deadline: 15 August 2018
- Finalist and Winner Notification: 1 September 2018
- Books must have a first edition publication date between Jan. 1 2017 and Dec. 31, 2017.
- Entries from authors all around the world are welcome to enter. Books, however, must be written in English.
- Full-length works between 40K and 120K words in both fiction and nonfiction are accepted. This includes collections of short stories, poems, and essays by one author. Graphic novels will also be considered if they are longer than 150 pages.
- Self published and traditional published authors are both welcome to submit.
All humorous books are welcome. Here are the categories for which we will award entries:
- General Nonfiction
- General Fiction
- Mystery / Paranormal
- Science Fiction / Fantasy / Thriller
- English translations of books originally written in other languages.
- Anthologies containing the work of multiple authors.
- New editions of previously published works.
- Publishers or authors must complete the online entry form and submit payment by the deadline: 30 April 2018.
- Books will be accepted in ebook and audiobook format. Please ensure that the title is in the filename.
- There is a $20 entry fee for each title submitted. We take payments by PayPal. Please be prepared with payment information before you begin the online submission process. If you prefer to pay by check, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The prize pool will consist of the following:
1st Place (Overall) - $500 + The Your Laugh Line Winner Trophy + Your Laugh Line Humorous Book Award Winner digital seal + $200 worth of advertising on Your Laugh Line.
Reader’s Choice - $250 + Your Laugh Line Humorous Book Award Reader’s Choice digital seal + $200 worth of advertising on Your Laugh Line
Finalists in each category will receive the Your Laugh Line Finalist seal + $100 worth of advertising on Your Laugh Line
All shortlisted works will be included in our press material.
All entrants will receive free promotion in the Your Laugh Line newsletter
We have a large panel of judges that consist of reviewers from around the world. Some run popular blogs, others are Amazon top reviewers -- and they are eager to read your work! Here is what they are looking for:
First round: Books will be judged on:
- Cover art: /5
- Description: /5
- First 20 pages: /20
The top fifty books will be longlisted to move forward.
Second round: Books will read all the way through and judged on:
- Writing style: /10
- Storytelling: /10
- Humor: /20
The top 10 books will be shortlisted to move forward.
- Judges will read and compare the books from the second round and final decisions will be made by consensus.
- One book will be chosen as a finalist in each category. The top overall book will be chosen from the pool of finalists.
- The Reader’s Choice Award will be chosen by the number of votes received from the voter base.
Q - Are self-published books eligible?
A - Yes, as long as they are humorous. We are seeking the best hilarious books on the planet -- that includes self-published books.
Q - What formats are acceptable?
A - We prefer digital formats. PDF, MOBI, EPUB, and MP3 (for audio) are our preferred formats.
Q - I missed the entry deadline but would like to enter a book. Is this possible?
A - Sadly, no.
Q - How do I enter a book?
A - Go to the book submission form here. There will be a spot for you to upload your completed book on the form. Be sure to have your payment ready at the same time!
Q - What if my book could be considered in more than one category?
A - You may enter the book in two different categories. However, there is an additional $10 fee for each additional category.
Q - Are graphic novels, graphic memoirs, and/or comics eligible for the award?
A - Yes, they are.
Q - How will I know if my work has been received?
A - You will be sent a confirmation notice within 3 business days. If you have not received confirmation by that time, please contact us with your inquiry.
Q - When will I be notified if my book is on the longlist, shortlist, or a finalist?
A - You will be notified by email. Longlisted authors will be notified on 1 July, 2018. Shortlisted authors will be notified on 1 August 2018. Finalists will be notified on 1 September 2018.
THE 2017 Your Laugh Line Humorous Book Awards are now open! It's our 1st year of Recognizing Excellence in Humorous Writing. We are now accepting entries for all published books released between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Entry fee is $20. You can only submit one book to one category.
To enter, fill in all applicable information below. Email address is required and very important, as this is how we communicate with you about judging and results updates.
Thanks and best of luck!